Hello friends and welcome! On this page I will be sharing with you, my daily bible study, word for word, everything I write in my personal bible study journal, I will be copying to this very page. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy doing it. I do not claim to have an advanced education in this field, I am merely studying the word of God, sharing His words, and how they apply to my life in the present. Feel free to read as much or as little as you want, and if you feel inclined to do so, follow along in your own bible and add any of your own thoughts as a comment.



Tuesday, August 10, 2010

OF SALT AND LIGHT

Today's Passage: Matthew 5: 13-16

You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt looses it's saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled by men. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on a stand, and it gives light to everyone in the  house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Notes:

Salt that isn't salty will not make your food more flavorful.

A lamp under a bowl will not make the room any brighter.

In the same way, faith without action does nothing to show others how great God is.

The love of God is nothing to be hidden or kept to oneself. It is to be shared with the world.

How this passage can be applied to my life:

Show love and kindness to everyone, even if I don't feel like it or don't think they deserve it. God loves me and shows me mercy and grace every day, even when I don't deserve it. Through my actions and attitude, I can show people how great His love is.

Share the word of God. When a friend is seeking advice, give them a verse or two from the Bible that relates to their current situation, rather than just my own opinion of what they should do.

Study the bible daily to continually add fuel to my lamp.

Share my testimony. Most people need to see something in order to believe it. My testimony is my personal evidence of God's action in my life. I can add some flavor to the day of a random stranger just about any where; on the bus, waiting in a line, waiting at a stoplight for the pedestrian light to turn green.

Volunteer to help people. I can help an elderly neighbor put away their groceries or walk their dog. I can help a single parent by watching their kids while they run errands. I can help tutor children in the neighborhood that are struggling with their home work. There are so many ways that I can help others just in my own community.

Memory verse from today's reading:

Matthew 5:16
Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.

Something to think about:

What are some simply things you can do to help someone, to share the love of your Father with the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment